Breast is Best!

It has been my motto in life to always do my best in everything whether it is career related or in my personal life.

So of course, now that I am a mother, I want nothing but the best for our precious little princess.

Honestly, I grew up thinking that formula milk is the way to go especially because I was bombarded with different milk ads on tv. Some claim that babies will be intelligent when they drink a certain milk brand, others claim that they will be more healthier etc. I have nothing against formula milk, it is just that I overlook the note of the milk companies in their ads – breastmilk is still best for babies.

But when I got pregnant, of course I made a lot of researches on motherhood, pregnancy and child care. I read books, downloaded baby applications on my phone, joined internet communities, attended childbirth class and of course, interviewed mommy friends.

From there I learned that truly, breastmilk is the best source of nutrition for our baby.

I am very fortunate to have friend who recently became a certified lactation consultant – Bianca Atienza. I became much more inspired to breastfeed after learning a lot from her. She also invited me to a breastfeeding class in Medical City.

I was so fascinated with the numerous advantages of breastfeeding not only to the baby but to the mother as well. I became determined to really breastfeed Giulia.

Like any first time moms, I was a bit scared that I might not have milk or I may not be able to satisfy my babies needs.

I was so happy to be equipped with adequate education, help, guidance and support from people to be able to become successful in my breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding is definitely not a walk in a park. It is really challenging but truly it is a manifestation of a mother’s love to a child. Below is an excerpt from Bianca’s speech on breastfeeding:


Breastfeeding is tough. It is time-consuming, at times uncomfortable and tiring. It is an act of complete self-sacrifice, almost as if dying to oneself for the benefit of this little angel that was crafted for us by God Himself. It is a spiritual act. It is a prayer of thanks to the Lord for the gift of a child. It is an outpouring of pure love, an exclusive experience only mothers can share.


First Latch
From my experience, it was a bit painful at first, my nipples got sore but I just continued. For the first 4 days of my breastfeeding, it seems I have nothing. But I made sure that my baby latch every 2-3 hours. I know I am passing on colostrum, which will serve as her first immunization. Note that colostrum is a pre-milk substance that is high in antibodies. Matured milk kicked in only on my 5th day. I was so happy.


I learned that both mother and baby need plenty of patience and persistence to get used to the routine of breastfeeding. But all the effort is worth it in the long run.

Breast milk really does magic. The weight of my baby doubled after only a month! From 5 lbs. 11 oz., she became 9 lbs 2 oz!

Now that I have returned to work, my baby drinks my expressed milk during the day. On the other hand, I now carry 3 bags to office – laptop bag, lunch bag and now – an avent bag. I also have a new routine in the office, 9 AM, 12 NN and 3 PM pumping schedule. Even if I only have 2-3 hours sleep at night, I still cannot afford to sleep during our lunch break because I need to pump milk for my baby. When I return home, I directly feed my baby throughout the whole night.

If you are wondering if I get tired? Yes, definitely.


But of course, nothing but the best for my baby.

And as they say, breast is BEST.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pan-fried Dory with Lemon Butter Sauce

Wee Nam Kee -- a taste of Singaporean Cuisine

Not so typical valentines speech