Changing Center of Gravity and My Unexpected Visit to Asian Hospital

Changing center of gravity: The first reason you may be stumbling is obvious—you're getting bigger. As your belly grows outward, your whole center of gravity is thrown. After walking perfectly for years, your body now has to constantly realign itself to keep you upright—no wonder you're tripping.

It may seem that this new life inside you has taken over your brain. Be assured, this is not the case. As your belly begins to expand and your baby grows, your center of gravity will begin to shift.

While you are pregnant you may notice your balance is a little off, increasing your risk of tripping or mis-stepping. Though your baby-to-be is well cushioned in your belly, falling wouldn’t be good for either of you. You will want to start being more careful when moving about. Here are a few tips:
  • Try not to carry things around with you that if dropped, could harm yourself.
  • Use the handrails when going up or down stairs.
  • Do not wear high heeled shoes, but instead, comfortable shoes that will assist you in balancing your newly shaped body.
  • Take your time when standing up.
  • Be mindful of your movements to avoid any serious spills
References:

These are just some of the things I learned from the internet and baby books. But they say experience is the best teacher and unfortunately I had to learn the hard way.

Yesterday, October 14. 2011, while I was walking towards our car, I noticed that I was slowly slipping and since I have nothing and no one to hold onto… I fell on the ground. Gerard was actually in front of me but he was holding something. He was not actually aware of what’s happening at his back because I did not make any noise and he just saw me on the floor. Honestly, when I slipped, I forgot that I was actually pregnant but when I saw Gerard’s super scared and worried face, I suddenly remembered Giulia! He seemed to be mad at me at that time but I know he was just concerned of my welfare and our baby’s welfare. He then told me that we need to go to Asian Hospital as soon as possible to have our baby checked.

I was also worried about Giulia because unfortunately, I don’t feel her kicks nor any movement. Gerard kept on asking me if I can feel Giulia… I told him no and maybe Giulia was just sleeping at that time. He kept asking me a million times and I had to tell him to stop because it only made me more nervous.

When we were near Asian Hospital, he told me to call our doctor to inform her of what happened to me. Our doctor, Dra. Socorro Caedo-Lim said that probably nothing bad happened. I told her that we were already near Asian because my paranoid husband wants to make sure that Giulia is okay. She told us to go directly to Genesis, 3rd level of Asian hospital.

When we went there, we were asked to go to the ER because they need my doctor’s instructions on what to do. So we went down to the emergency room (ER). At that time, I felt relaxed and confident that Giulia is okay because I felt no pain whatsoever. At the ER, the friendly staff asked me what happened. He handed me an information sheet to fill-up. I just had to write my name, address and doctor. After that, I saw that the wheelchair is ready. I felt ridiculous because I think I am perfectly okay. However, I understand that it might be part of their standard operating procedure (SOP).

When we arrived the Genesis Center, after all the SOPs (interview, basic info – height and weight), they asked me to lie down and they attached me to a fetal monitoring system. It monitors fetal heartbeat and contractions, if there are any. I was also asked to monitor Giulia’s movement and to press a small device with button whenever I feel her moving.


After 30-45 minutes, the doctor came and said everything is okay and we can now go home.

Thank God for the good news! I was so happy to feel Giulia’s kicks and movements. I also saw in the monitor that her heartbeat is normal. Gerard and I are so happy and relieved that Giulia is okay. Thank God!  

Our bill last night was P2135.00 but knowing Giulia is okay and healthy – PRICELESS. :)

But of course, I will now be extra careful not only for myself, but also for our precious baby Giulia Bernice. :)

On a side note: Gerard told me that it's time to retire my Nike Mary Janes… and just always wear Crocs… hehehe :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pan-fried Dory with Lemon Butter Sauce

Wee Nam Kee -- a taste of Singaporean Cuisine

Not so typical valentines speech