Baby Blues/Post Partum Depression

Baby Blues

The baby blues are a period of mild depression which can occur about three or four days after your baby is born. About 50% - 80% of all mothers go through a patch of baby blues which lasts for a few hours, or, at most, for a few days and then it disappears.
Source

Postpartum Depression

Postpartum depression (PPD), also called postnatal depression, is a form of clinical depression which can affect women, and less frequently men, typically after childbirth. Studies report prevalence rates among women from 5% to 25%, but methodological differences among the studies make the actual prevalence rate unclear. Among men, in particular new fathers, the incidence of postpartum depression has been estimated to be between 1.2% and 25.5%. Postpartum depression occurs in women after they have carried a child, usually in the first few months, and may last up to several months or even a year. Specifically, the onset of postpartum depression begins within 4 weeks and lasting up to 6 months after giving birth. Symptoms include sadness, fatigue, changes in sleeping and eating patterns, reduced libido, crying episodes, anxiety, and irritability. Although a number of risk factors have been identified, the causes of PPD are not well understood. Many women recover with a treatment consisting of a support group or counseling.

Source

==================================

People know me as an optimistic, always-happy person. I always see that in every situation, there is a different perspective. I always see the brighter side of life.

Don’t get me wrong, not because I am now a mother, I already became grumpy or grouchy. You will still see me smiling all the time.

But of course, like any new mom, I had or still has episodes of baby blues.


I think this is just normal and as statistics shows that 80% of women experiences this after child birth.


Having a baby is really both exhilarating and exhausting at the same time. I have never been this happy, having our little princess around. I am so thankful to God for giving us this greatest blessing.


But of course, childbirth is really life-changing. Raging hormones, having zero sleep, being stuck in the house and dealing with a lot of new responsibilities can really be nerve-wrecking.


As a new mom, I sometimes feel pressured and worried that I might not be able to give the best to our precious little one.


When I find myself being depressed because of small things, I just acknowledge that it is part of my baby blues.


I just look at Giulia and when I see her smile and hear her ‘coos’, all my worries/depression fade away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pan-fried Dory with Lemon Butter Sauce

Wee Nam Kee -- a taste of Singaporean Cuisine

Not so typical valentines speech