My hubby and the Couvade Syndrome

I have downloaded the “what to expect” application for my iPhone eversince I learned that I was pregnant. On a daily basis, this application provides some information on pregnancy.

On Day 214, the information is about Couvade Syndrome. Below is Wikipedia’s definition:

Couvade syndrome, also called sympathetic pregnancy or (in the UK) phantom pregnancy, is a condition in which a man experiences some of the same symptoms and behavior of an expectant mother. These most often include minor weight gain, altered hormone levels, morning nausea, and disturbed sleep patterns. In more extreme cases they can include labor pains, postpartum depression, and nosebleeds.[1] The labor pain symptom is commonly known as sympathy pain.

It is funny though, a few weeks after that… I have observed that my lovey hubby is sleepy all the time. It’s odd because usually I am the one who is sleepy. I was surprised to see that there are days that by 9 PM, my lovey hubby is already in dreamland, considering that his normal sleeping time is 11 PM onwards. So it is really weird for him to be sleeping at 9 PM.

Next, he really has a big appetite but he said that he has observed that he gets hungry all the time. He doesn’t have cravings or anything but it is still weird.

Lastly, there were a few days when he complained of back ache, specifically on the lower portion. I said that maybe it is just because of his sleeping position. But he said that the pain was different. Fortunately the pain only lasted for a few days… whew!

So… sleepy? Hungry? Back pain? Hmm…. These things really made us think.

Is this just coincidence? Or is he suffering from couvade syndrome?

Strange huh?!

I just want to think that these are signs of how much my husband loves me.

He wants to understand and feel the odd behavior or even the hardships I am going through.

At least now he had some share of what it feels like being pregnant… hehehe J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pan-fried Dory with Lemon Butter Sauce

Wee Nam Kee -- a taste of Singaporean Cuisine

Peri Peri Charcoal Chicken